This is a selection of books that I have found very useful over the years and is regularly updated. I share lots of recommendations with clients and friends and wanted to share this with you too. If you have a book to recommend to me, please do. I am always on the look out for inspiration on my own journey.
Last Updated: March 16, 2016
- Self Compassion – Kristin Neff, Ph.D
- Self-therapy – Jay Earley Ph.D
- Internal Family Systems Therapy– Richard Schwartz
- Playing Big – Tara Mohr
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide – Nicholas D. Kristoff and Sheryl WuDunn
- Transformational Speaking If you want to Change the World Tell a Better Story– Gail Larsen
- Parts Work An Illustrated Guide to your Inner Life – Tom Holmes
Change, Loss, Anger, and Depression
- Living Beautifully With Uncertainty and Change– Pema Chodron
- When Things Fall Apart: Heartfelt Advice for Difficult Times – Pema Chodron
- Flying Without Wings– Arnold R. Beisser
- The cow in the Parking Lot A Zen Approach to Overcoming Anger– Leonard Scheff and Susan Edmiston
- Anger Buddhist Wisdom for Cooling the Flames– Thich Nhat Hanh
- Dance of Anger: A Woman’s Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships – Harriet Lerner, PhD
- Yoga For Depression– Amy Weintraub
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country’s Foremost Relationship Expert – John Gottman, Ph.D.
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the way with Live, Love, Parent and Lead– Brenee Brown
- To Bless the Space Between Us — John O’Donohue
- Marriage in Motion The Natural Ebb & Flow of Lasting Relationships– Richard S. Schwartz, M.D. and Jacqueline Olds, M.D.
- Bring Yourself to Love: How Couples Turn Disconnection into Intimacy – Mona Barbera, Ph.D.
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Life-Changing Tools for Healthy Relationships – Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D.
- Connected: How your Friends’ Friends’ Affect Everything You Feel, Think, And Do– Nicholas A. Christakis, M.D., Ph.D. and James H. Fowler, Ph.D.
- The iRest Program for Healing PTSD: A Proven-Effective Approach to Using Yoga Nidra Meditation and Deep Relaxation Techniques to Overcome Trauma – Richard C. Miller PhD
- The Body Keeps Score: Brain Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma – Bessel van der Kolk
- Parts Psychology: A Trauma-Based, Self-State Therapy for Emotional Healing– Jay Norick, PhD.
Mindfulness and Spirituality
- Beginning Mindfulness Learning the way of awareness a ten-week course– Andrew Weiss
- The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-being– Daniel J. Siegel MD
- Sitting Still like a Frog Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)– Eline Snel CD voice by Myla Kabat-Zinn
- The New Feminine Brain– Mona Lisa Schulz M.D. Ph.D
- Man’s Search for Meaning Viktor Frankl
- Courageous Dreaming How Shamans Dream the world into Being– Alberto Villoldo PhD
- Train your Mind Change your Brain– Sharon Begley
- The Emotional life of your Brain– Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D with Sharon Begley
- The Brain that Changes Itself – Norman Doidge M.D.
- Incognito The secret lives of the brain– David Eagleman
- Magnificent Mind At Any Age– Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
Disclaimer: Some of the links are affiliate links to Amazon.