We all know those people who seem to float through life in a protective shield of happiness. Even at the toughest times, they still see the glass as half full and enjoy even the smallest moments. What is their secret ingredient?
When it came to happiness, popular opinion used to say that you were either born with it, or you gained it purely through luck. Now, thanks to the expanding field of Positive Psychology, more and more researchers are looking into ways we can nurture and grow happiness in our lives.
Positive Psychology is the study of human strength and resilience, as well as the things people can do and the choices they can make to lead better lives. The relatively new idea that happiness is a state of being which can be learned has gained a lot of attention in research and literature, as well as mainstream social media.
In this podcast, I talk about:
- Some main points around current happiness research
- An overview of popular current books on the subject of “making” happy
- Finally, the key take aways around growing happiness in your own life
Use the expert knowledge and tips in this podcast to invest time and energy in yourself and your happiness. Remember: you are enough, and you are worth the effort.
Books mentioned in this podcast
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. 2009
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. March 20, 2007
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris (10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story Paperback) December 30, 2014
- The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by the Holiness The Dalai Lama, November, 1999
- Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment by Martin E. P. Seligman. October 2002
- The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor. September 2010
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. 2015
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown. 2010
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz and Janet Mills. Nov 7, 1997
Research mentioned in this podcast
- “Valuing Time Over Money Is Associated With Greater Happiness.” Ashley V. Whillans, Aaron C. Weidman, and Elizabeth W. Dunn Social Psychological and Personality Science, April 2016; vol. 7, 3: pp. 213-222., first published on January 7, 2016
- The state of happiness is transferred through hearing vision and smell.
- People are more happy and less anxious when they have fewer options in relation to work choices.
- Most people have the potential to be resilient given time and support. With proper support, people can heal from traumatic life event taking up to 2 years.
- The good life can be taught.